Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pickles: Learning 6

Phyl is a good cook (usually he is the one making dinner). However, he also likes to play around with weird food combinations, which leads me to this post. He made cheeseburgers, and as usual his had many more additions than mine. Then I did a double take. "Did you put cucumbers on your burgers?" I asked, as though he were crazy. "Yes," he replied, as though this were perfectly normal. "Cucumbers?"  I repeated, still with a you're-crazy undertone. "What, they're just like pickles," he replied.

Which led to a further conversation about how pickles are made from cucumbers. He said it was just vinegar. Turns out it's vinegar plus lots of pickling salt and different spices to make the brine. So that's what I learned.

But the real question is, should one put cucumbers on their cheeseburger? Chime in in the comment section.

2 comments:

  1. I'm wondering how long it takes for a cucumber to become a pickle. Please advise.

    I think it's best to just have the pickles on the veggie burgers I eat. Cucumbers are for sandwiches. Please tell Phyl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure about the cucumber choice. I seems a little edgy. In a bad way.

    ReplyDelete